Monday, June 4, 2012

Food Coloring Is Bad For You....

Now that that's been said, it's also really, really cool. I don't consume a lot of really nasty things for my health partially so I can have vices like $1.99 neon food coloring. I decided to celebrate the season finale of Game of Thrones with a cake.

And it was pretty darn sweet if you ask me....


I made cake. I don't want to do a recipe tutorial, but the basic thing is I made cake batter and separated it roughly into 4 bowls. I squired some neon food coloring into each bowl and mixed it well. Then I alternated pouring the colored batter into the greased pan, keeping them in big lumps. Before putting it in the oven, I took a chopstick and stuck it to the bottom, making swirls. I alternated depth, size of swirl, and angle to get it all swished around.

The results of such swirly goodness

I baked the cake, let it cool, and frosted it with cream cheese frosting. Then I put 3 drops of each sort of food coloring around the border, took a toothpick, and swirled that around. Every time you run a toothpick through some color, it makes a really neat design.

The pretty, pretty outside.

All of the extra pouring, coloring, and playing around probably took 5-10 minutes and made an extra 4 dirty dishes and a toothpick, but it was so much more fun than white frosting on white cake. I think I've found what kind of wedding cake I want to make when I get married.

No comments:

Post a Comment