Friday, May 11, 2012

Incredible Vanilla Soda!


I'll admit, I spend more money than I should in my co-op's soda aisle. I don't consume high-fructose corn syrup except at restaurants in things like ketchup, and I kind of want to bring my own. Good sodas based on sugar or agave nectar tend to be more expensive and not come in 2L bottles. I brew my own soda, but that takes time and has an herbal flavor and takes a lot of tweaking.

My vanilla and agave soda tastes like a complex and high-end cream soda, but works out to 20-30 cents a glass, and less if you have a soda machine like sodastream. It also has 3 ingredients. Seriously... three. Maybe four if you count the Co2 in the water. Way better than most sodas you can get for cheap, and you know what it all is. I've been working on a way of making a vanilla and agave... syrup I can keep in a tiny bottle and take to restaurants, since most restaurants don't have HFCS soda, but will give you a free soda water. I'll post when I figure this out.

Add agave nectar to a glass. This is as much as I used for a pretty sweet glass of soda, but you can put more or less in, to taste. It's pretty cheap in bulk or at costco.

Next, put in a bit of vanilla. About a teaspoon will do. I always get my vanilla at the co-op by the pound or at costco. The tiny bottles cost about as much as the 16 ounce bottle at costco ($6) and the quality's the same. You can also make vanilla extract with vodka and vanilla beans, but I have yet to do that. There are options that allow use of the real stuff. If this is for a special occasion I use Mexican vanilla shipped to me by a friend in Mexico. It's about $5-10/pound for premium stuff, as opposed to the $16-25 we pay in the states for the same stuff in bulk bins.



Next, fill the rest of it with soda water, then stir it up and drink.

 Cost? I have a soda stream because I'm car-free and hauling soda around is a pain, and it's about 15 cents for the glass of soda water. I used to buy 2-liter bottles for cheap, and maybe some cans to have sitting around, just in case.  


No comments:

Post a Comment